Welcome !

It's been long since i thought of writing about tips, tricks, solutions and news that i come across while using Linux.

I hope this blog will be gradually active and provide valuable information.

Welcome!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

The actual Macbook Pro Retina Resolution isn't 2880x1800

A short post to let people know that the Macbook Pro Retina Laptop is not displaying pixel to pixel resolution of 2880x1800. Instead - it displays by default a 1440x900 resolution with pixel doubling. It's something like interpolation used by old cheap cameras or the Nokia's 40MP phone - which was having a 5MP sensor. However - you can push the resolution up to 1920x1080 (not more than this) but the display get's blurry as it's not exactly half of the 2880x1800.

Ladies and Gentlemen - your Apple! They say 2880x1800, they hide the 1440x900 (which does not  impress at all)

NOTE: You can BUY an application that recently came out (SwitchResX) to force a real 2880x1800 resolution. As expected - by a real 2880x1800 on a 15" area - the characters are so tiny that gives you eye-strain. fail ! 

You are stuck to 1440x900 resolution doubled.

Pasting the discussion as Apple is probably going to remove it from it's discussion website :)

Jun 13, 2012 8:47 PM

I was going to buy one today (online) but I thought I better make the treck over to an Apple store to see one in persion first and boy was I desipointed when I did.


The first thing I noticed was that I could not set the display resolution to the native 2880x1800 which was the main reason I wanted to buy it.
I spoke with 3 people, 2 sales, and the head genius and all were dumbfounded that the resolution could not be set to 2880x1800.
After I left the store I also contacted Apple by phone and spoke with 2 people, neither of whom know this nor did they understand why, let alone explain why.


None of the 5 people I spoke with could tell me if there was a fix coming in an OS update or in Mountain Lion. On top of that no one coule tell me how and app like appature would work once updated for retina. The MBP's in the Apple Store were not updated yet, as the notifications showd in the app store app.


I fear that for an app to take advantage of pixel per pixel desplay it will have to be in full screen mode.


How do I watch a 1080p movie in Quicktime and still have my Twitter feed going, or my Mail open, or repond to iMessages?


Can someone, anyone at Apple fill me in... PLEASE? There has got to be someone that actually knows someting about MBP Retina working for Apple.


I would really like some answers before I spend thousands more on Apple products.


Source:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/257796/run_a_retina_macbook_pro_at_full_2880by1800_resolution_induce_eye_strain.html

1 comment:

  1. It is actually what retina is all about. Using the exact same working space, but with a 4 times higher density to produce a sharper image. It's exactly what happens on your smartphone, compared to the one you had a few years ago. You display more or less the same UI and content, only a lot sharper. Like HDTV as well, actually. Since you bought a blu-ray player and a 1080p TV, you're not seeing more of the movie than on your old 16:9 CRT or first generation LCD/Plasma screen hooked to your DVD player. But what you see is a lot better.

    You can download a free app called "display menu" on the Mac App Store to activate 2880x1800, but it's obviously unusable (though it can be useful for testing purpose or very specific needs). You can also activate an equivalent of 1920x1200 through System Preferences. Then, OS X will render the screen in 3840x2400 and shrink it down to fit 2880x1800. It won't be as sharp as the 1440x900 equivalent, but it'll be a lot sharper than an usual 110 dpi screen, while still providing a way larger working space.
    And that's about it.

    ReplyDelete